A Southern Gay: Part 2


I wasn't planning to make an addition to, "A Southern Gay", but it seems my story and voice, which I'm sure, neither are mine alone, aren't being heard. 


"No Pride", is quickly becoming much larger than I originally thought it would be and I'm trying to give every facet the proper amount of exposure to make sure I'm doing the whole story justice.

I know I sound like a complete A-Hole sometimes, mostly because it's really difficult for me to see LGBTQ progress from where I'm standing.

I recently read a lot about Andrew Sullivan and his awkward worldviews. The only thing I could think about was how did other people not already see this about him.


There are other gay voices out there not belonging to Andrew Sullivan, or people like him.

Then I read about how people are angry with "Angels in America" receiving more exposure while not representing women of color.

Overall, these narratives sound a lot like, "Gay white men are fine because they're privileged enough and they should shut up and sit down.".

I may be wrong about the overall narrative but, if this is true, I want people to know I have no intention of sitting down and shutting up. 

People can fight against Andrew Sullivan if they want, I don't care much for him. 

People can fight for legitimate representation of those affected by HIV and/or AIDS who are not gay white men.

I'm not going to lay down and be sewn into any blanket statement without some kind of damning evidence against me or without first giving permission. 

I know I have the skin color to match, "White Privilege", but I was immediately denied most forms of privilege when my "fellow" Alabamians discovered my sexual orientation, lack of religious faith, and political affiliations.


When I'm not waking up, looking in the mirror, thinking about all the times I've been wronged, and counting them as "failures", I have to somehow not decide to end it all. I'm stuck between working yet another meaningless dead end job, knowing the work my family has participated in for generations is quickly disappearing, fighting to create something for myself I have zero experience with, and fueling the whole thing with passion alone. This doesn't sound anything like privilege to me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Self-Fulfilled Prophecy

No Pride: End of the Year Special

The Elephant in the Room