Seek Help

When I first created this blog project, I didn't really know how to go about promoting it. It has adult content, so I can't publicly post it on my Google+ profile and I don't like the idea of openly promoting through Twitter because that account is connected to Facebook and therefore, my family. 

One of the main reasons I started this project, is I'm openly gay but, not in an expected manner. Living in Alabama with my conservative family poses threats. The threat of a very uncomfortable situation, unnecessary anger, disdain, the creation of a toxic environment, bullying, harassment, estrangement, and even violence. Yes, it is that bad in the area I live in. I'll get into that at some point, I'm sure. 

In the end, it isn't really worth it to promote in that manner. I turned to the last avenue I could think of, Reddit. I have a very strange relationship with Reddit, as documented on my other blog, "@ntisocial". However, the results of doing the first promotion were great. I am very pleased with the results.

I even had people respond to the blog and had a few civil adult conversations about the content. I want to go over the correspondence I had and talk about what was said, as I feel it is important to the health of the blog.

The theme of, "No Pride", is, "It does not get better, not for all LGBTQ people. An exposition of what it is like to be openly gay and living with my conservative family in Alabama.", this has been mistaken as condoning and even promoting suicide. 

I won't lie. I did use, "It does not get better, not for all LGBTQ people.", as a direct shot at the organization, "It Gets Better". However, this isn't to be taken as me saying that anyone should think about committing suicide.  

I myself have severe anxiety and depression. I often have thoughts of suicide and I have sought help for these issues and if you have any problems similar to this, you should seek help as well. 

I do not support, promote, or condone violence of any kind. This includes self-harm and/or suicide. 

I want to talk about, "It Gets Better", at some point. I do have issues with the organization that I would like to explain at another time. 

I understand that one aspect of the, "It Gets Better" movement is suicide prevention, but there are still LGBTQ persons committing suicide because they truly feel there is no hope. That is why I said, it doesn't get better for 'all' LGBTQ persons.       

Life isn't always great, but it is always better than the alternative. 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Self-Fulfilled Prophecy

No Pride: End of the Year Special

The Elephant in the Room