Goals

I was recently asked about my goals for, "No Pride" and I think it's important to announce them for all readers to see.

First, I've never been fully comfortable with my own homosexuality. 

Call it internalized homophobia, oppression, lack of self-esteem or confidence. I feel better when I talk out loud, too bad, not many people want to talk to me about "gay stuff". Writing allows me to say things I don't normally get to say. Blogging is cathartic for me. 

Second, the LGBTQ community doesn't truly exist in my area.

By telling my story/stories, as unimportant and insignificant as they may be to the overall picture, it shows the issues all people who identify as LGBTQ face from my perspective. States like California, New York, and Washington have a prominent LGBTQ voice, Alabama does not.

Third, this could potentially turn into a larger, self-sufficient community in the future.

Again, the LGBTQ community doesn't have the reach a lot of people believe it does. There are a few gay bars/clubs an hour from where I live and I do not consider them to be open and accepting to all members. This blog isn't just for me. The comment section is open, I have listed multiple ways to contact me. I'm not a medical professional but, I can be a friend and an open ear if you're interested.

Fourth, there is more to, "No Pride" than misery. You just have to look a little harder.

The initial criticism, "No Pride" received leading up to the question of my goals was, it is only filled with stories of personal misery. For the most part, yes it is. There are posts with stories and ideas not filled with sadness, though and more still yet to be written and explored.

Overall, the LGBTQ community still has problems, issues, and shouldn't be sitting back and relaxing because gay marriage is now a reality. Our fight isn't over.

I don't get to join in the fight by being an activist because there aren't any local organizations doing anything more than throwing a Pride event once every year. Beyond being an activist, I'm not sure what else I could do. Walking around the local Wal-Mart in full rainbow regalia isn't going to make things better, I assure you.

The LGBTQ community has gotten awfully quiet around here and the first order of business is to get loud.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Self-Fulfilled Prophecy

No Pride: End of the Year Special

The Elephant in the Room